Ph.D. Applied Mathematics, University of Wollongong, Australia
Areas of Expertise
Theoretical Nanotechnology; Calculus of Variations
Current Interests and Activities
My past and present research works in the field of mathematical modeling in nanotechnology are mainly focused on the energy and force distribution between both organic and inorganic molecules. The aim of this study is to gain insight into the energy behavior at a molecular level, and to reduce the time for a computational calculation. There are three main problems.
- Construction of a mathematical model for the use of nanotubes or nanoporous materials to selectively separate proteins, enzymes or gas in any mixture systems by determining the size of the nanotube or nanoporous material to best fit the specific molecule.
- A model for the encapsulation mechanics of a molecule inside a nano-size capsule has been examined for the benefit of a magic bullet.
- Last but not least, the study of the interaction energy between a nano-molecule and lipid bilayers to determine the penetration behaviour in the delivery of a drug or a gene to the targeted cell.
- Endeavour Research Fellowship 2009, Australia (November 2009 – April 2010)Humboldt
- Research Fellowship 2011, Germany (December 2011 – May 2012)Endeavour Research
- Fellowship 2014, Australia (April 2014 – July 2014)
- The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS) for the Advancement of Science in Developing Countries, TWAS Prize for Young Scientists in Thailand 2016 (Mathematics), UNESCO
- Young Scientist Award 2013, The Science Society of Thailand Under the Patronage of His Majesty the King, Thailand.
- Outstanding PhD thesis 2009, National Research Council of Thailand, Thailand.
- Commission on Higher Education Scholarship from 2005 to 2008. Thai Government Scholarship, Thailand.
- The Development of Promotion Science and Technology Talent Project Scholarship from 1998 to 2005. The Institute for Promotion of Teaching Science and Technology, Thailand.
- Recipient of Dr. Tap Nilaniti Outstanding Graduate Award 2005.
- P. Sripaturad, N. A. Alshammari, N. Thamwattana, J. A. McCoy and D. Baowan* (2018) Willmore energy for joining of carbon nanostructures, Philosophical Magazine, Vol. 98, pp. 1511-1524.
- D. Baowan*, J. M. Hill and W. Bacsa (2018) Continuous approximation for interaction energy of adamantane encapsulated inside carbon nanotubes, Chemical Physics Letters, Vol. 693, pp. 34-39.
- D. Baowan* and J. M. Hill (2016) Mathematical modeling of interaction energies between nanoscale objects: A review of nanotechnology applications, Advances in Mechanical Engineering, Vol. 8, pp. 1-16.
- K. Sumetpipat, D. Baowan* and J. M. Hill (2016) Modelling packing arrangements of Doxorubicin in liposomal molecules, Journal of Computational and Theoretical Nanoscience, Vol. 13, pp. 8241-8248.
- P. Sarapat, N. Thamwattana and D. Baowan* (2016) Continuum modelling for adhesion between paint surfaces, International Journal of Adhesion & Adhesives, Vol. 70, pp. 234-238.
- S. Putthikorn and D. Baowan* (2016) Mathematical model for drug molecules encapsulated in lipid nanotube, Physica A, Vol. 461, pp. 46-60.
- K. Sumetpipat, D. Baowan*, B. J. Cox and J. M. Hill (2016) Mathematical methods on atomic force microscope cantilever systems, RSC Advances, Vol. 6, pp. 46658-46667.
- P. Tiangtrong, N. Thamwattana and D. Baowan* (2016) Modelling water molecules inside cyclic peptide nanotubes, Applied Nanosciences, Vol. 6, pp. 345-357.
- P. Satiracoo, K. Chayantrakom and D. Baowan (2013) Modelling Hydrogen Storage Inside Fullerenes, In the proceeding of International Conference in Applied Mathematics – Mahidol University 2013 (ICMA-MU), 19 – 21 January 2013, The Centra Government Complex Hotel & Convention Centre, Chaeng Watthana, Bangkok, Thailand, pp. 89-93.
- K. Srikhaetai, K. Chayantrakom and D. Baowan (2013) Oscillatory Behaviour and Numerical Simulation of a C60 Fullerene in Single-walled Carbon Nanotubes, In the proceeding of International Conference in Applied Mathematics – Mahidol University 2013 (ICMA-MU), 19 – 21 January 2013, The Centra Government Complex Hotel & Convention Centre, Chaeng Watthana, Bangkok, Thailand, pp. 103-109.
- W. Sukchom, K. Chayantrakom, P. Satiracoo and D. Baowan (2013) Penetration of Carbon Nanocylinder through a Lipid Bilayer, In the proceeding of International Conference in Applied Mathematics – Mahidol University 2013 (ICMA-MU), 19 – 21 January 2013, The Centra Government Complex Hotel & Convention Centre, Chaeng Watthana, Bangkok, Thailand, pp. 117-126.
- D. Baowan and N. Bunkluarb (2011) Offset C60 fullerene encapsulated inside Goldberg type I fullerenes, In the proceeding of 5th International Conference on Applied Mathematics, Simulation, Modelling (ASM’11), 14-16 July 2011, Corfu Island, Greece, pp. 60-63.
- D. Baowan, W. Traimpo, D. Traimpo and J. M. Hill (2010) Theoretical prediction for the encapsulation of TiO2 nanoparticles into carbon nanotubes, In Proceeding of 2010 International Conference On Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, 22-26 February 2010, Sydney Convention & Exhibition Centre, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia.
- D. Baowan, B. J. Cox and J. M. Hill (2013) Fast flow through nanotubes and tube blow-out, IUTAM Symposium on Surface Effects in the Mechanics of Nanomaterials and Heterostructures, IUTAM Bookseries (closed), Vol.31, pp. 71-86. Editors: Alan Cocks, Jianxiang Wang. ISBN: 978-94-007-4910-8 (Print) 978-94-007-4911-5 (Online)
- D. Baowan, B. J. Cox, N. Thamwattana and J. M. Hill (2009) Mechanics of Nanoscaled Oscillators, Handbook of Nanophysics/ Functional Nanomaterials, CRC Press (2010), ISBN: 978-1-4200755-2-6.
- D. Baowan, B. J. Cox, N. Thamwattana and J. M. Hill (2008) Minimisation approximations
for joining two carbon nanostructures, IUTAM Symposium on Modelling Nanomaterials and Nanosystems}, IUTAM Bookseries, Vol.13, pp. 109-121. Editors: R. Pyrz, J. C. Rauhe. ISBN: 978-1-4020-9556-6 (Print) 978-1-4020-9557-3 (Online)
- 2005 – 2008 Doctor of Philosophy in Applied Mathematics, University of Wollongong, Wollongong, Australia.
- 2001 – 2005 Bachelor of Science (First-class Honours), (Mathematics), Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand